Thursday, November 10, 2011

Belgian Beer and a Pilsener

I've decided that I want to learn more about Belgian Beers and I learn by drinking .... errr .. I mean doing.  So I stopped by a new beer store in Wareham this afternoon.  First of all it's hard to believe that the town of Wareham, Mass. now has a huge store with over a 1000 beers to choose from.  If there was ever evidence that the craft beer revolution has won this is it.  Believe me, before this Sam Adams was top of the line and hard to find in Wareham.

Anyhow there is a lot of variety in Belgian beers and much to learn but I figured I'd start with a Tripel knowing that I liked these in the past.  The one I had tonight was called Maredsous Tripel and is supposedly based on a recipe from the Maredsous Abbey.  Reading the fine print it says it is brewed and bottled by Duvel.  I liked it just fine.  I'm not one for trying to type fancy tasting notes.  I suck at it and I don't like reading them either.  The beer was decent but not as good as the only other Belgian Tripel I've had (Kasteel).  But it's a start and I'll keep trying them.

Here's the obligatory, pretentious, Belgian beer photo.



Once I polished that off I remembered I still had some Pilsener left in my homebrew keg.  The picture of the Tripel was taken with my wife's fancy camera.  The picture of the Pilsener was with my crappy cellphone.  The Pilsener still tasted better than the Tripel.  It was overshadowed last weekend by Aaron's outstanding Oatmeal Stout but it really is an excellent beer for the style.  But people will prefer a good Oatmeal Stout to a good Pilsener almost always, especially in November.  This one was brewed with Weyerman's Bohemian Pilsener malt and Czech Saaz hops. 



Good night.  I've got to finish this beer and get some sleep.  NERAX is tommorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment