Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Beer Hiking - Part 2 - Geisfeld

After a night spent out in Aufsess I moved my beer hiking base a bit closer to Bamberg to a village called Geisfeld.  Geisfeld itself is home to two breweries but the area sorrounding it has numerous bier kellers and bier gartens to visit within a reasonable walking distance.  Not to mention Brauerei Sauer of the nearby village of Rossdorf Am Forst.  Unfortunately the weather was quite a bit cooler than normal for July so most of the bier kellers were closed.  To me it was a perfect beer drinking day.  It was about 68 degrees, mostly sunny, and breezy.  But to a local anything below the low 70's means drink inside and so the kellers stay closed.  Nevertheless, I was determined to go for a nice long walk and stop at the different breweries and whatever bier gartens I could find open. 

Firstly I found a nice hotel in Geisfeld.  Inexpensive too.  I think it cost 38 euros for the night.  Nice place and friendly staff and a perfect base for a beer hike. 

The place is called Gasthof Büttel.


After walking through the quiet streets of Geisfeld I would soon come out into farmland.



My first target was the village of Rossdorf Am Forst to visit Brauerei Sauer.  I figured Sauer's bier keller would be closed but the brewpub would be open and I was really hungry.

It was actually quite a nice walk, passing through barley fields:


Some nice countryside:


Then onto a tractor path leading down towards Rossdorf Am Forst:


The camera actually doesn't do the view much justice.  It was a very nice walk so far:


With a very nice prize at the end in the form of a Sauer Braunbier (one of my favorites):


I was famished so I enjoyed a nice half chicken plate with my braunbier then I went to sit in the Sauer bier garten for a while to enjoy some of their lager beer and read a book.  I was just about the only one there so there was not much else to do but relax:




After 2 or 3 of the lager beers I decided to move on.  I knew the keller wouldn't be open but figured it was worth checking out anyhow for future reference and see what it looked like.  It looked like a great place to drink beer.  What a shame it was closed:

From there I found a nice bike path and followed that over to Amlingstadt:


Then continued on through Wernsdorf and onto Leesten:


And finally I came across an open bier garten worth stopping at.  After walking a few miles I really needed a beer.  This was Lowenbrau of Buttenheims beer and the bier garten is called Waldstübla:


Now it might of been that I was relaxed after a long walk but at the moment this place seemed really nice.  It was a bit different for a bier garten as well in that there was a small petting zoo there.  There was also a fairly good size playground as well (not unusual for a Franconian bier keller).  It was quiet there on this day but I can imagine a lot of families spending hours on end her on a weekend.




Feeling refreshed after Waldstübla, I decided it was time to head back to Geisfeld to have one of the best beers of the whole trip, the Griess Kellerbier.  The renowned Griess Keller was sadly closed but they have a small bier garten at the brewery and there I enjoyed some of this great keller bier.  It's a bit hoppier than you typically find in this region:


This was a hard beer to put down.  But after 3 of them I suddenly felt motivated to take a cab into Bamberg.  It wasn't far.  Only about 7 kilometers or so but I really wanted to be at Spezial Keller when the sun went down and so that is what I did.  There was hardly anyone there so I got a prime seat by the fence overlooking the city. 


That evening I managed to visit Spezial Keller, Brauerei Greifenklau, and Stohrenkeller before meeting some fellow beer lovers over at Cafe Abseits who were tasting a variety of different beers.  This picture of Abseits is later in the week during daytime.  While at Cafe Abseits the owner Gerhard Schoolman, who is a terrific gentleman and quite hospitable to us beer travellers, offered me a Monschambacher Christmas Bock.  It was a fantastic bock bier but sneaky strong and put me under.  So I called it a night and Gerhard called me a cab.


Next up on the blog, a revisit to Roppelt's Keller and the Kreuzberg Kellers.









No comments:

Post a Comment