Tuesday, May 24, 2011

New England Beer Tour - Day 1

I know folks are anxiously awaiting to find out what happened on our beer tour of New England this weekend.  I know reading about other people's beer drinking adventures must be very exciting.  Not quite as much as watching paint dry I'm sure but I'll try to make it sound interesting.

First stop was Amherst, Mass.  Before deciding whether or not we'd spend any precious time that night at the Moan and Dove beer bar in Amherst I figured we stop in for a quick pint during the day to see if we'd like it.

And here you see Bill anxiously heading for the door to have his first beer of the tour.  I simply could not hold the man back any longer.


I had a Victory Prima Pils and Bill had a High and Mighty Beer of the Gods.  Both were very good.  I figured the Beer of the Gods was an Imperial Stout or something strong like that but it is actually a very easy drinking, pale, session beer that the Moan and Dove serves in a liter glass.  They even asked Bill if he wanted a liter or a 1/2 liter.  He clearly said 1/2 liter but they brought a liter instead.  Good thing to.  He quaffed that down as fast as my pint of pilsener.


It's a great little beer bar.  We were impressed and would return later that night.  They have an excellent beer selection and I really like the laid back vibe of the place.


So we decided after just the one to head to the UMass hotel, park the car for the night, and check in.  We get up to the room and Bill wants to take a nap!!  A nap after only 1 liter of beer!!  Oh the shame.  Perhaps he was too tired from all the driving I did?  Would he be able to keep up with me this weekend?  Well, at any rate, while Bill took his nap I decided to go for a walk around campus and reminisce.  Truth be told I left a fair chunk of my brain cells and liver on that campus and I went out to see if I could find them.

First I passed some academic looking buildings in the center of campus.  I didn't recognize them having rarely attended class during my 4 years there.


However, as I got closer to the Southwest dormitory complex things started to look familiar.

I stayed for a couple of years in this tower facing us.  My recommendation to anyone going to UMass.  Don't stay in these towers.  Just don't.


But then I moved across the street from Southwest into these apartments.  This was much better.  We had great keg parties and wiffle ball tournaments here.


Oh well, enough reminiscing and walking.  Time to go wake up Bill.  We take the 1.5 mile walk from the hotel to Amherst Brewing Company where we'd wait to meet up with Aaron and Jeff.


When we first arrived there was one of those unstable people at the bar who won't shut up even when the people he is conversing with across the bar clearly want him to just stop and go away.  Bill and I knew that if we even looked at him we'd be trapped into conversation with him so we just kept our eyes down on our food and beer and hoped that all his focus would remain on the people across the bar from him until he left.  It worked.  Although not before he made his new found friends write down his phone number and insisted that they call and stay with him if they ever visit New York.

Had a few decent beers here and a clunker that they had on cask.  Nothing was really bad and nothing was really great, although Bill swears his Cascade IPA was his favorite of the trip.  I liked their Graduation Ale the best out of the ones I tried.


Aaron showed up first then Jeff not long after.  We stayed here for an hour or two longer then decided to call a cab to take us to the Moan and Dove to finish off the night.

We had a round of one of my favorite British Ales - Coniston Bluebird Bitter.  Then switched to Schlenkerla Helles that they had on tap.  The Schlenkerla Helles was outstanding and I stayed on that horse for the rest of our stay at the Moan and Dove.

And here's Jeff enjoying a pint of the Helles.  We almost got him to smile that night.  But to no avail. It's not an easy thing to do after all.  We also made a few clumsy attempts at drunk dialing friends from the bar to taunt them.


That's all for day one.  The next day we would head to Burlington, VT.  Would the beer be as good there?  Would we find anything interesting along the way?  Would Jeff crack a smile?  These things you will have to wait until the next post to find out.


1 comment: