Friday, February 25, 2011

Maibock

I'm really sick of Winter.  Here in New England this year it has been particularly rough.  But tommorrow comes the antidote.  I'm going to brew my seasonal Maibock to be ready for the 1st week of May.  A Maibock recipe can be fairly simple.  Yet in the end, if done right, it is liquid gold.  Basically I'll use lots of Pilsener Malt.  For each 5 gallon batch I'll use about 12 pounds of Bohemian Pilsner Malt from Weyerman's in Bamberg.  I'll add just a smattering of Hersbrucker hops and then finally Bavarian Lager Yeast and let nature and 2 months of cold lagering do the rest.  Over the next 2-4 weeks I'll brew 10-15 gallons of this beer and have them kegged and ready to go by May 7th.  Let's hope for good weather because on that day my beer garden will be opened, complete with Maypole, kegs of Maibock, beer soaked Brats, and picnic tables to sit at.  Good times are coming!

And hopefully we'll have decent weather just like in this picture.

1 comment:

  1. Sweet. I can honestly say that last years Maibock was the 2nd best beer I've ever had. Right between (1)Spezial Ungespundet and the staple of my life's blood: (3)Guinness.

    ReplyDelete