Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Roppelt's Keller - Stiebarlimbach, Franconia, Germany

This is my favorite bier keller.  I dream about this place.  Great Kellerbier, good food, and nice relaxing countryside scenery.  I really could spend an entire day here easily.

It is owned by the Brauerei Roppelt http://www.brauerei-roppelt.de/ which is a short walk from the keller in the village of Stiebarlimbach.  Stiebarlimbach is beautiful, picturesque, little countryside Franconian village and the keller is short walk from the the village center.  It is set against a forested hill known as Kreuzberg.  There are 3 nice bier kellers atop the Kreuzberg hill as well and one can simply walk behind Roppelt's keller across a small stream and up the hill through the woods on a well marked path and suddenly before you appears three kellers all in a row on top of the hill.  Magic!  But Roppelt's is my favorite of the four kellers in this area.  There's just something incredibly peaceful about it.  Some would lay on a beach in Aruba sipping a fruity cocktail probably with an umbrella in it.  I'd rather sit beneath the trees at this keller rain or shine with a krug of kellerbier in my hand.

There is no way I'm not visiting at least for a seidla or 3 when I go back in July.

I've visited twice.  Once in 2009 and once last Summer in 2010.  Both times in July and both times it was cool and rainy.  Yet it was still a beautiful spot to sit and enjoy a nice, somewhat hoppy Kellerbier.  Now all  you have to do is find Stiebarlimbach.





2 comments:

  1. That's gorgeous! We'll have to go there in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I think when I'm back in July a group excursion to Roppelt's and the Kreuzberg Kellers is in order.

    ReplyDelete